Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thirst

   We act as if no one is watching. We speak like we will never be accountable.We live like tomorrow is a promise.We compromise, pretend, lie, and believe like the world does, the seed of God's Word planted in our hearts dormant for the time being. We tell other Christians God is our every breath, but our actions, our words, and our lives show differently. And that's when we hear that little voice so often suppressed saying quietly, "There is something wrong."
   But the most watched shows on tv, the popular music of today, the famous books everyone has read, the celebrities with perfect forms and faces, and the way the people follow them with empty minds and outstretched hands hit us repeatedly with deafening screams. They say that we are sheltered and preventing ourselves from enjoying life. From under their burdens they moan that we ought to be like them, with bleeding hands they gesture that we follow them, they scream they are completely satisfied as if the louder their voices are the more like truth it will seem. They dip their cup into the well and pull it back out and drink then dip it back in, always thirsty for more, knowing what they have isn't enough. But just as the Israelites shouted, "We want a king!" because the people around them had kings, so do we shout that, like everyone else, we wish to walk down the path that leads to death. That leads to never enough.
   God tells us what He offers is enough.
   Isaiah 55:2
   "Why spend money on what is not bread, and labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to Me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare."
   Jeremiah 31:25
   "I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint."
   Revelation 21:6
   He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him that is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life."
   He warns us what they offer will never be.
   Isaiah 65:13
   Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: "My servants will eat, but you will go hungry; My servants will drink, but you will go thirsty; My servants will rejoice, but you will be put to shame."
   "Give ear and come to Me; hear Me, that your soul may live."
   That was Isaiah 55:3.
   What is our response? Naturally we feel confused, everything we know has always been never enough we cannot quite grasp the concept that something can be enough.
   But something can. Something IS.
   For the slightest moment hope springs up, and then goes dry again as we stop and think. Wait. But we are not enough. We cannot deserve this. We are too far gone. We want to believe it. But it is too good to be true. Not for me, it can't be true. They have no idea what I have done. You don't know where I've come from.
   No, I don't. But He does. And He wants you still. It doesn't matter to Him. You are forgiven.
   No, you do not know the amount, the greatness of my sin.
   'Jesus answered him, "Simon, I have something to tell you."
   "Tell me teacher," he said.
   "Two men owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he canceled the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?"
   Simon replied, "I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled. "
   "You have judged correctly," Jesus said.
   Then He turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven - for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."
   Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."' Luke 7:40-48

3 comments:

Kat said...

Your heart is amazing. Your love for God just shines. I am honored to call you part of my family...both immediate and ETERNAL.

Shonya said...

I like the descriptive imagery in your post! And some of the things you're saying make me think of Haggai 1:6 about us working so hard to put our money in "purses with holes in it"--just wasting!! Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

What a thoughtful wise post here. So impressed!